Monday, June 25, 2012

Do You Crochet? Help Please!

A couple of years ago I learnt the basics of crocheting, I made a babies ripple blanket and I started another with straight lines. However I have no idea how to follow a pattern, and guess what? I have found a pattern I really want to follow!

These are the instructions, can anyone please explain them too me, I would love you forever





Now I took these photos on my iphone and now have no idea where I got them from and so im so sorry that I dont know who to credit these too but I am desperate to make a blanket full of these. If you know who this belongs to then please let me know so I can credit them.
Thanks so much :-)
Edited to add - Thanks so much to Laura at Made In Oxford, this is the source for these photos and instructions
And a big thank you to everyone who has been helping me decipher this, especially the lovely Laura

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Ill have a go at explaining it later for you xx

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Lolly needs to tell us all!

Anonymous said...

Happy to give you a hand with the terminology, but in the meantime, I think this is your source:
http://millemakes.wordpress.com/2011/05/22/something-pretty-the-pattern/

Beth said...

I can try explaining too - is there a specific piece of it tripping you up? I've made something similar to this before and it took a few reads before I got the whole take the yarn off the hook and reinserting the hook elsewhere but once it clicks, it makes sense.

Danielle said...

New to crochet and have just tried to nut this out myself, but am lost! Will be checking back to see what advice Laura and others have been able to give :)

Rachel said...

I don't crochet but this might help...http://millemakes.wordpress.com/2011/05/22/something-pretty-the-pattern/

Have a great day!

Katie said...

It's been awhile since I have crocheted anything but I do know there is a difference in terminology between American stitches and the rest of the world (just like with measurements, ha!). So I finally hunted her profile down on Ravelry and found that she lives in Norway, so I'm assuming the stiches she describes in the pattern are not what I am familiar with.

I would check out her instructions for Something Cute on her blog. She talks about starting with a magic loop, which I find easier to start a circle with than joining a chain.

Also, after looking at project notes on Raverly from other people, her petal stitch is really a popcorn stitch, so if that helps find videos (what helps me with crochet) I would look for that stitch.

Sorry I'm not much help. I have a copy of The Happy Hooker that I could use to help you decifer it, if you still have need.

This is an adorable pattern and I am now adding it to my ever-growing list of yarn projects.

CitricSugar said...

This is definitely a pattern that would be better shown than explained. The thing to remember about a pattern is that they often put a repeated pattern stitch at the beginning of a pattern so that it's easy to find later on. The actual crocheting happens a few lines down (but you might have figured that out already - sorry if I over explain something you already know). It's tough to jump into a more complicated-to-read pattern when just learning pattern lingo. It looks like you've got people who are handy with crochet (and within coffee-getting distance) in your comments above and they'll be your best bet since they can show you in person and see what you're doing with your hands. Good luck!